Montreal Canadiens making temporary job cuts during COVID-19 crisis

Canada

MONTREAL—The Montreal Canadiens are reducing their workforce during the COVID-19 crisis.

Groupe CH, which also owns the American Hockey League’s Laval Rocket, says it will proceed with a temporary reduction in personnel, impacting 60 per cent of the organization’s employees.

The reduction will start Monday.

Groupe CH says it has established a $6-millon assistance fund to help employees. The organization says the fund will help enhance employment insurance benefits for eight weeks, ensuring that employees will receive 80 per cent of their base salary for that period.

The fund also will provide loans to employees in difficult financial situations.

The NHL and AHL suspended their seasons earlier this month.

“Now more than ever, it is important to support our community and demonstrate our solidarity to one another. We are working extremely hard to limit the impact this situation will have on our employees,” Groupe CH owner Geoff Molson said in a statement.

Get the latest in your inbox

Never miss the latest news from the Star, including up-to-date coronavirus coverage, with our free email newsletters

Sign Up Now

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

NHL Rumors: Golden Knights, Oilers, Buyouts, More
Ovechkin, Crosby OK skipping straight to playoffs
10 players eyeing NHL jobs next year
NHL Rumors: Artyom Zub, Taylor Hall, and Alex Pietrangelo
Maple Leafs’ Forgotten Ones: Glenn Anderson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *